Thursday, July 9, 2009

Mom's Potato Salad

We were in Utah last week, looking for a house. (Yes, we found one).

We spent the 4th of July celebrating with family. It was the kind of weekend full of all the reasons we are looking forward to moving back (family, fun, food to name a few) and all of the reasons we are not. But this is my "happy blog" so I'm not even gonna go there!

I hauled my camera everywhere, but didn't take any pictures. I was in a bit of a funk, so you'll have to forgive me.

The boys had a great time hanging out with aunts, uncles, cousins and grand-parents. There was fishing, and fireworks...(not together). And some funny antics of my sister-in-law!

Shane got covered in mosquito bites...he looks like he has the chicken pox! We rarely worry about mosquitoes here in AZ. I'll have to remember to stock up on bug spray.

My mom makes the best Potato Salad. Ever.
She made it for our barbecue. It was so yummy, I ate 2 big helpings! I've been trying to make it too, but my results are less than perfect. Once I bit into hers, I knew I was still off the mark. But I haven't given up yet, I'll still keep trying!




Mom's Potato Salad
5 1/2 Pounds Red Potatoes
1 Quart Miracle Whip (no substitutions, please)
1/4-1/2 Cup Yellow Mustard
1 Small Onion, diced
1 lb. Bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
Salt and Pepper to taste


Scrub potatoes, boil with skins on until just cooked. (Do not overcook the potatoes). Cool. Peel and dice potatoes. Mix together Miracle Whip, mustard, onions and salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes and stir gently until all potatoes are coated. Stir in bacon pieces. Chill until ready to serve. Best if made a day or two ahead.


*My notes: My last attempt was way too saucy and way too mustardy! So I've cut the mustard back to 1/4 a cup and then will add more if it needs it. Mom's doesn't taste "mustardy" at all! Of course, she doesn't use a recipe, she just throws it together, so the amounts are just her guesstimates. I'll keep tweaking it! You could also add pickles or hard boiled eggs, whatever you like in your potato salad. And a word about the Miracle Whip...I've tried it with Mayo and it just ain't the same (and I hate MW, but for this recipe...mayo just doesn't cut it!).

*EDIT 8/13/2011: I cut the mustard back to a little more than 1/8 of a cup. And on my mom's suggestion, I mixed the Miracle Whip, mustard, salt and pepper together, tasting it as I went along, until the flavor was right. Then I added it to the other ingredients. Perfect!!!

p.s. The picture is of my too saucy, too mustardy version. Just so ya know.


3 comments:

  1. Red potatoes are so good! I usually just use the russet potatoes. The bacon sounds delicious! I'll try it for our family reunion! Thanks for the recipe. As for your trip to find a house, I'm glad this is your happy blog but kind of wondering about the "not" part of moving...maybe later?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll send you a nice, whining email! How's that sound? It's all about extended family dysfunction, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Valerie! We spent the 4th in Utah, too. Visiting reminded me how much I enjoyed living there. Arizona's just too dang hot for me :)

    Anyway, I wanted to let you know that you won a book on my blog. Congratulations! Check it out at http://blogginboutbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete