Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Family's Favorite Meal

Yes, yes...it's another recipe.
We had this for dinner tonight, and I thought it interesting that I had never shared our favorite dish...and I do mean favorite.

So, I present... Chicken Broccoli Casserole (also known as Chicken Divan). We call it CBC for short. Whatever you call it...it's delish. Everyone in the family loves this, but it is hands down Emily's favorite food in the whole entire world.

My kids are funny, because when I make this they can become quite "terrotorial" over it.
They will argue about who is eating too much...who gets the leftovers...etc.

They will hide leftovers from each other, finding creative ways to disguise it in the fridge. One time, Emily took the leftovers to a friend's house so no one else would get them. To avert bloodshed, I've started making extras so there are plenty of leftovers for everyone!

It will be enjoyed for breakfast and lunch tomorrow by everyone who is quick enough to get their hands on the remaining stash.

Emily was gone today, but when I got home from church she had left a bowl on the counter for me to fill with leftovers for her to take to work tomorrow.

So, yeah. Pretty much my family's favorite meal. Ever.


Chicken Broccoli Casserole

4 chicken breast halves
1 (16 oz) package frozen broccoli (we prefer chopped broccoli)
1 cup shredded cheese
6 cups cooked rice

Sauce: (Mix together)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. curry powder

Place chicken in pan and cover with water. Season as desired (salt, bay leaf etc.) Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Cool and shred or cut into small pieces.
Cook broccoli according to package directions, until crisp/tender.
Spray a large cooking dish (10x15) with cooking spray.
Spread cooked rice in the bottom of the pan.
Top with chicken pieces, and then broccoli.
Pour sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly & cheese is melted.

*I usually use 1 1/2 bags of broccoli. And I just throw enough chicken on to make a nice layer. And I was a little heavy on the cheese tonight...you can adjust the recipe to your liking.
(This makes a big pan full...and yet I still have to make another small pan!!!)

*Also, just a few more hours to enter my giveaway. Midnight tonight is the cutoff. (Closed)

5 comments:

  1. I believe it must be your family's favorite! I'm going to have to try it but then set some ground rules before the family tastes it so there's no bloodshed! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH! I love Chicken and Broccoli casserole!
    I have a recipe.. but don't make it because it asks for cream of Broccoli soup.. and I hate the taste and smell of it.. so I will have to try your recipe for sure!!

    Hmm.. Do I have curry powder?

    Thanks for visiting me! DO you have all of the Taste of Home and Quick Cooking recipe books? You know.. the ones that have the magazines all compiled?? Let me know... I have some I found that need a good and loving home.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one, haven't made it for so long..it will be monday nights dinner! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny that they act like they'll never get it again. It's nice to have some meals that everyone likes, but I guess it could get dangerous. :)

    We are in a Spanish-speaking ward and the missionaries often come to our house for dinner. Once we had two American missionaries and I asked them what meal I could cook that they hadn't had in a while. (They get LOTS of rice, beans, tortillas...) One of them said Chicken Broccoli casserole, but didn't know how to make it. I just looked online for a recipe and made one, but I doubt it was like his momma's. Maybe I'll give this one a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh! This looks so good! And it's something that I think my girls (the pickiest of eaters) would eat. I will definitely have to give it a whirl! :)

    ReplyDelete