Thursday, April 26, 2012

Yard Tour~ The Garden

Spring is finally here!
It's been kind of fun & exciting to see what is growing on the yard.
There are a few things in the garden spot that I'm especially happy about.


This is from the top of the garden, looking down. It's terraced.
And it needs a lot of TLC...we are working on that part.
Let's take a closer look...

Concord Grapes growing on the small porch/deck area on the South side of the house.
They are in serious need of pruning, which we'll do this fall. For now, we're working on getting them trailing around the railing again. I think the deer knocked them down.
Last year they produced a lot of grapes. Great for juicing!




At the bottom of the garden is this grape arbor, with table grapes. Also in serious need of pruning. To the right of the arbor is a mock orange which is struggling right now. Hopefully we can nurse it back to good health. There is also a Quaking Aspen (not pictured) that I just noticed the grape vines have attached to. We'll be cutting those vines out! I'm amazed at those little vines. Don't stand still too long, or you may find them attaching to you!

(Not sure what the plant to the left is)


Looking up: The grape arbor is behind me. We have planter boxes & a
rocky terraced area.


Quite a bit of this growing amongst the rocks (and everything else).

(Catnip)

And some of this in various places in the garden & the yard. Don't know what it is.
(Feel free to let me know what any of the plants are!)


And in the rocky terraced planters...I've found several of these little beauties.



That's right...strawberries! There used to be lots of strawberries, but the garden area was not well maintained. I weeded yesterday & found 15 or so plants. We'll see how they do this year with a little care. At the end of the season, I'll transplant them all in the same area (they are spread all over right now). They are blossoming right now and Shane is so excited that we might have fresh strawberries!



This is the raspberry patch. Not a dandelion patch...a raspberry patch.
There are 3 or 4 canes showing new growth...so we are hoping to salvage those. Weeding this planter is my next project. Then some much needed TLC for the raspberries.
I'm not expecting them to bear fruit this year.



Showing some struggling signs of life.
We did find out the sprinklers have not been working in the garden area...
Rick finally found the problem last night (a disconnected wire). So hopefully some good old water will help the plants thrive.


Although these seem to be having no problem growing.



We have 4 fruit trees; Plum, Cherry, Apricot & Peach.
All have blossomed and the apricot & cherry both have set fruit.
The apricot tree was drooping a little, but we got some water on it & I am amazed at the difference!
In just two days, the fruit has doubled in size!
I'm not sure we'll get fruit on the plum tree...I think it might have gotten some cold/frost damage with the last snow we had here. Just keeping an eye on it to see if it will set fruit.



This bush is outside the garden area...but also in the "not getting water" zone!
At first I thought it was a lilac. But sadly, it is not.



If you know what it is...do tell!
I'm hoping the buds will open up soon! This morning there are quite a few more buds on the plant (that water is good stuff!)


Beautiful peach blossoms. The peach tree was struggling. It has been nearly overpowered by the Apricot. All the trees need a good pruning...But I am hopeful that the peach tree will set fruit too.



Hooray for Spring!
(Now I'm gonna go take some Claritin :)




9 comments:

  1. Hi Valerie..
    Looks like you've got a lot of promising plants there.

    Love all the grapes :)

    It is wonderful that Spring is finally here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spring...but in some ways, it is a wake up call to ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, in our yards and gardens.
    It can be a busy time, but feels good nonetheless after being locked up all winter.
    I am READY

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much property do you have lady?? It looks like so much fun!

    You have many awesome plants and trees indeed! I need to do a lot of planting...

    Are you sure it isn't a Lilac? It looks just like mine. I planted it 2 years ago.. and it has the same shape.. and is a different variety than the normal kind. It's flower even looks the same.

    Huh.

    Allergies are killing me this year.
    Off to the shower I go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't grow anything...except weeds. I was just talking today about how I'd love to grow some berries since my family and I love them and they are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a neat place to shower some love in to. If I lived closer I'd love to come and talk a walk around your yard. Looks like a secret garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when the world around us starts looking like spring! I agree with Lesa - It looks like a secret garden. So many things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a lot of work!
    It's pretty fun though isn't it.

    I would be taking advil too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you have a wonderful start to what will be a beautiful garden. Strawberries are always a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a nice view. And your garden has a lot of potential...can't wait to see updates. :)

    ReplyDelete