Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pioneer Day & Another Concert

Here in Utah, we celebrate "Pioneer Day" on July 24th.
Pioneer Day is a State Holiday, commemorating the arrival of the first company of Mormon Pioneers that arrived in Utah on July 24th, 1847.
Pioneer Day is also commemorated by Church Members in other areas besides Utah.



(Photo Courtesy LDS Church )

Spencer was on a Pioneer Handcart Trek at Martin's Cove & surrounding areas.
He had a great time!

We decided to keep things low-key this year.
We made our own "subs" for lunch.
I finally got my potato salad just right!
(I'll be editing the recipe a little bit later)

After lunch, we decided to take Shane & Emily and go see the movie



What a great movie! If it's playing in your area and you haven't seen it yet~
You should go.
Take tissues.
The DVD will be released on September 6th, 2011.
(Seagull Book & Deseret Book are taking pre-orders)

After the movie, we popped across the street to the Scera Shell Outdoor Theater to wait in line to see these guys:

It was such a great concert! We've seen Sawyer Brown a few times, and they never disappoint!
They just put on a fun concert.
As we were waiting for the concert to start, a gentleman next to us was asking if we had seen Sawyer Brown before. Funniest moment was him trying to describe Mark Miller (the lead singer). His comment was:

"I think he's double jointed or dyslexic or something."

I was sitting behind Rick & I about busted up laughing! When he got up to go talk to someone else, I leaned up and said to Rick:
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." 
(Movie line)
Mark Miller is known for his hyper antics on stage. The word most often used to describe him is
"hyperkinetic".
Dyslexic? Not so much!

The down side of the evening was the rain.
It rained a lot! The concert was delayed for a while~ but eventually they just came out and sang anyway. Two hours of singing...in the rain, plus rain before the concert started...
We were drenched! But it didn't matter, it was a great concert anyway. Totally worth it!

Favorite songs of the Night: The Dirt Road & Travelin' Band.

The other fun part of the evening was being able to take Shane. (Sawyer Brown is pretty kid friendly~ there were lots of families there!)
He didn't really love the concert because he wasn't really familiar with the music...but he just kept staring at me because I was clapping and whoopin' and hollerin'. I think he just didn't know what to make of his normally quite and reserved mother. :)

I'm gonna give a plug for the Scera. This was our first time going to their outdoor venue.
It is awesome!
I've never really paid much attention to the events they host there...but I will now!
We had great seats~ and seriously I don't think there is a bad seat there.
So if you have a chance to go see a concert, or play or any other event there~ you should do it!

7 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about that movie, I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying over the "dyslexic" comment! Hahaha! I mean, really, what in the world? :) (And by the way, yes, I can name that movie!)

    Thanks for the tip on the Scera. I've never paid attention to their venues either but I will definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw shucks.... you guys always have all the fun :)
    I'm still getting nagged about going to see concerts this summer too :)
    Glad to hear that you liked the movie..... it never made it down to our little burg. I'll buy it though, now that you've given it the thumbs up. Hope your week is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, and Miss pioneer day. When we were in Utah over Memorial Day, I took my husband to see the "this is the place" monument and visitors center. He really liked it.
    I had relatives in the Martin Handcart company.
    and
    I LOVE Sawyer Brown. how cool that you got to go see him.

    good to hear from you again, and now I have a lot of catching up to do

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this post? That's so cool you were able to go to the Sawyer Brown concert! Even in the rain, it's fun to do something as a family.
    I haven't seen 17 Miracles. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD.
    I too love the Scera outdoor theater. I have been to the Timpanogas Storytelling Festival there for the past 4 years and love going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to the Scera...I have a great desire to go sometime. Because everyone makes it sound so fun.

    I gave you an award on my blog. may have to scroll down a post to see it.

    ReplyDelete